Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Wofford Clips Furman, 34-27

Reese Hannon Buy Now
Reese Hannon

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Lorenzo Long's 7-yard touchdown run with less than a minute remaining in the game lifted Wofford to a 34-27 victory over Furman in Southern Conference football action Saturday afternoon at Paladin Stadium.

Wofford (6-3, 4-2 SoCon) trailed 27-20 heading to the fourth quarter but scored twice to in the final period to claim the victory -- its first in Greenville since 2007.  The game marked the 90th renewal of the Deep South's oldest football rivalry.

Long's decisive score with 49 seconds left on the clock was set up by a reverse throwback pass from quarterback Brandon Goodson to Will Gay, who covered 33 yards on a third-and-10 play to the Furman 7.

Goodson ran for 121 yards, scoring on touchdown runs covering 64 and 33 yards, and threw for 66 yards and a tally.

Furman (2-7, 2-4 SoCon), which dropped its sixth straight home game, was paced by senior quarterback Reese Hannon, who completed 27-of-40 passes for 305 yards and two touchdowns.

The Paladins took a 13-10 lead on a Hannon 10-yard scoring strike to tight end Duncan Fletcher with only 1:25 remaining in the first half, but the Paladins' defense couldn't keep it that way heading into intermission.

Using a Will Gay 48-yard run to the Furman 14, Wofford executed the first of two reverse throwback passes for touchdowns when Goodson found tight end Chandler Gouger open for a 14-yard scoring strike, followed by the PAT that put the Terriers up 17-13 with 23 seconds remaining in the first half.

That didn't end the scoring as the Terriers' Boston Bryant pounced on a Furman fumble at the Paladin 40 with three seconds showing on the clock.  After a pair of Furman timeouts Wofford's David Marvin, who earlier drilled a 54-yard field goal,  cleared the crossbar with a stadium record tying 57-yard kick on the final play of the first half, giving the Terriers a 20-10 lead.

Furman answered in the third quarter behind Hannon, who directed a nine-play, 93-yard drive that ended when freshman wide receiver Thomas Gordon hauled in a 14-yard strike in the corner of the end zone to help tie the game at 20-20.

The Paladins then took advantage of a Wofford mistake to grab the lead.  Ridge Gibson pounced on a fumbled snap by Marvin, the Terriers' kicker and punter, at the Wofford 5, and on the next play Antonio Wilcox steamrolled into the end zone to put Furman up 27-20 with the extra point.

Wofford responded with a Goodson 33-yard scoring burst with 14:17 remaining.

Furman took the ensuing kickoff and overcame three penalties with two flags on Wofford to advance to the Wofford 9 on a 15-yard connection from Hannon to Andy Schumpert. On the next play, however, Wofford defensive back Jaleel Green intercepted what was ruled a tipped ball at the line of scrimmage, nullifying an interference call in the end zone, to help the Terriers halt the scoring threat.

Punts ensued for both teams on the next two possessions before Wofford took over at its own 36 with 4:39 remaining.  After the Terriers were flagged for holding, which put the ball at the Furman 40 with 1:36 left, the Terriers dialed up their second reverse throw-back pass of the contest, leading to Gay's 33-yard catch and run to the Furman 7.

Furman grabbed a 6-0 lead on Wilcox 1-yard touchdown plunge on the game's first possession but failed to extend the advantage after Carl Rider recovered a fumble at the Wofford 22.  Jon Croft Hollingsworth's 38-yard field attempt was blocked.

The two teams battled to a near draw in total offense, with Wofford finishing with a 372-370 advantage, including 306 yards rushing.  Furman did most of its work through the air, registering 305 yards.

Trey Robinson tallied a career high 15 tackles and a forced fumble to lead Furman.

Furman will play host to Western Carolina next Saturday in a 4:00 p.m. contest that will mark the Paladins' final home game of the season.