Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Furman Falls to Clemson, 3-1, in Tournament Finale

Elle Ross
Elle Ross

Clemson, S.C. – The Furman volleyball team fell to tournament-host Clemson, 3-1 (25-23, 25-27, 17-25, 19-25), on Saturday evening in the finale of the Big Orange Bash. Christina Dorismond was named to the All-Tournament team. 

The Paladins had three hitters with double digit kills (Christina Dorismond - 16, Andrea Fisher - 12, Ashton Gregory – 12) but could not overcome the play of Clemson's seniors, Hannah Brenner and Mo Simmons. Elle Ross recorded a team-high 19 digs, while Fisher recorded her second double-double as a Paladin (12 kills, 17 digs). Jo Wilks tallied 47 assists, while Dorismond and Gregory each had two blocks.

Furman jumped out to an early 8-3 lead in behind the play of Dorismond. The Tigers pulled to within two at 8-6, but the Paladins used some key blocking to push their lead to 12-7. Furman continued their strong play, stretching their lead to17-12, forcing Clemson to call their first timeout of the set. The Tigers then used a 6-2 run to cut the Furman lead to one at 19-18, forcing the first Paladin timeout of the set. The Paladins fought back, capitalizing on Clemson errors and forcing the Tigers to call another timeout with the Furman lead at 22-20. Then, with the score tied at 22, Furman used a kills by Dorismond, a Clemson error and a kill by Bierman to take the set, 25-23.

Clemson opened up a lead in set two at 10-5, forcing Furman to call an early timeout. The Paladins battled back, using kills by Dorismond to cut the Clemson lead to one at 14-13. The teams traded points until a Gregory kill on a Clemson overpass forced the Tigers to take a timeout, leading by one at 18-17. A Bierman block and a Dorismond kill gave the Paladins their first lead of the set at 20-19. Clemson fought their way back into the game, retaking the lead at 24-23 and forcing a Furman timeout. The teams traded points until Clemson took the set, 27-25, to tie the match at one.

The teams traded points early in set three, before Clemson stretched their lead to the largest of the set at 19-13. The Paladins cut the lead to four at 20-16, but Clemson finished the set on a 25-17 run to take a 2-1 lead in the match.

The Tigers started set four with an early 7-2 lead, before Furman battled back to cut the Clemson lead to two at 10-8. The Tigers pushed their lead back to five at 14-9, before the teams traded points and the Paladins were able to cut the Clemson lead to three at 16-13. A Bierman ace cut the lead to two at 16-14, but the Tigers used a 4-0 run to take a 20-14 lead. The teams closed out the set at a 5-5 clip, but the Tigers took the set 25-19 and the match, 3-1. 

The Paladins finished the tournament 1-2 and returns to action Friday in Newark, Del. at the Delaware Tournament.