GREENVILLE, S.C. -- The Furman men's tennis team extended its winning streak to eight matches with a 6-1 win over UNC Greensboro Saturday at the Mickel Tennis Center in Greenville, S.C.
The Paladins swept the doubles matches to claim the first point. Sophomore Ivan Mitric and junior Jake Munns held off Nico Grewe and Ollie Palmer, 7-6(2), in the top-seeded contest, and juniors Clarke Wilson and Jake Bhangdia beat Jack Burkill and Hugh Knapp, 6-4, at flight two. At number three, sophomores Henrik Atlevi and Drew Singerman blanked Roger Rogowski and Ian Melnik, 6-0.
Furman won five singles matches in straight sets to complete the victory. Mitric, who ranks 87th nationally, outlasted Grewe, 6-3, 7-6(3), at flight one, and Munns defeated Knapp, 7-6(7), 6-4, at flight three. At number four, Bhangdia topped Rogowski, 6-0, 6-4, and Singerman downed Melnik, 6-3, 6-1, at number five. Atlevi posted a 6-2, 6-2 advantage over Burkill at flight six.
The Spartans scored at flight two, where Palmer slipped past Wilson, 7-6(4), 6-4.
Furman (9-3, 2-0 SoCon) opens a four-match road swing Wednesday when the Paladins travel to Wofford. First serve is set for 3 p.m.
Julie Paré, Furman Sports Information
Furman 6, UNCG 1
Mar 16, 2019 at Greenville, S.C. (Mickel Tennis Center)
1. #87 Ivan Mitric (FUR) def. Nico Grewe (UNCGM) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Ollie Palmer (UNCGM) def. Clarke Wilson (FUR) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
3. Jake Munns (FUR) def. Hugh Knapp (UNCGM) 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
4. Jake Bhangdia (FUR) def. Roger Rogowski (UNCGM) 6-0, 6-4
5. Drew Singerman (FUR) def. Ian Melnik (UNCGM) 6-3, 6-1
6. Henrik Atlevi (FUR) def. Jack Burkill (UNCGM) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,6,4,1,3,2)