CHARLESTON, S.C. -- The Furman men's tennis team opened the Southern Conference season Saturday with a 6-1 victory over The Citadel at the Jack Adams Tennis Center in Charleston, S.C.
The Paladins swept the doubles matches to take the opening point. Junior Jake Munns and sophomore Ivan Mitric downed Willem van Zyl and Gavin Stewart, 6-2, at number one, and juniors Jake Bhangdia and Clarke Wilson posted a 6-2 victory over Roy Hobson and Will Graham at flight two. In the number three contest, senior Alex Steryous and freshman James Roelofse beat Phillip Quinn and Noah Nawabi, 6-4.
Furman won five singles matches in straight sets. Mitric topped Hobson, 6-4, 7-5, in the top-seeded contest, and Wilson held off Jack Pyritz, 6-3, 6-0, at number two. At flight four, Atlevi defeated van Zyl, 6-4, 6-3, while Singerman recorded a 6-3, 6-0 advantage over Stewart at number five. Roelofse scored a 6-1, 6-0 victory versus Graham at flight six.
The Bulldogs' lone point came at flight five, where Nawabi came from behind to defeat Bhangdia, 4-6, 7-5, 7-6.
Furman (5-3, 1-0 SoCon) will travel to Davidson Sunday for a 1 p.m. contest.
Julie Paré, Furman Sports Information
Furman 6, The Citadel 1
02/16/19 at Charleston, S.C. (Jack Adams Tennis Center)
1. Ivan Mitric (FUR) def. Roy Hobson (CIT) 6-4, 7-5
2. Clarke Wilson (FUR) def. Jack Pyritz (CIT) 6-3, 6-0
3. Noah Nawabi (CIT) def. Jake Bhangdia (FUR) 4-6, 7-5, 7-6
4. Henrik Atlevi (FUR) def. Willem van Zyl (CIT) 6-4, 6-3
5. Drew Singerman (FUR) def. Gavin Stewart (CIT) 6-3, 6-0
6. James Roelofse (FUR) def. Will Graham (CIT) 6-1, 6-0
Furman 5-3, 1-0 SoCon
The Citadel 4-11, 0-1 SoCon