Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Furman Races Past VMI To Advance To SoCon Semifinals, 7-1

Danny Kierath
Danny Kierath

Greenville, S.C. -- Furman netted a season-high seven goals, including four in the first half, to down VMI, 7-1, on Saturday night at Stone Stadium and advance to the semifinal round of the Southern Conference Men's Soccer Championship.

The third-seeded Paladins (12-4-3) will face No. 2 seed UNCG in the second semifinal contest on Seagraves Field at Stone Stadium on Friday, November 10. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m., following a 3:30 p.m. contest between top-seed ETSU and the winner of tonight's Wofford at Mercer match. The championship final is set for 1 p.m. on Sunday, November 12, and will be streamed live on ESPN3.

"It's all about surviving and advancing this time of year," said Paladin head coach Doug Allison. "We were able to score some nice goals early and take care of our business. Now we'll turn our attention to preparing for next Friday."

Danny Kierath put Furman in front less than a minute into the match. Emery May slipped a pass from the left past the VMI keeper and Kierath deposited his shot into an empty net just 55 seconds into the match. Kierath bagged a second goal at the 9:18 mark as May fed a pass down the left side of the box and Kierath rifled a shot to the far corner for his fifth score of the season.

In the 18th minute, Kierath chipped a pass over VMI's back line and Laurence Wyke settled the ball before firing past VMI's Robert Allen to up the lead to 3-0. Less than eight minutes later, Wyke tallied his ninth goal of the season. Sloan played a ball to Wyke on the left side of the box and he beat the keeper with a low shot to the far corner at 25:42.

After Kyle McLagan tapped in a rebound off of an Aigbekan Nosegbe shot to give Furman a 5-0 lead, VMI got on the board as Fabian Munoz-Velasquez converted from the penalty spot following a Paladin foul in the box at the 65:12 mark. Emery May scored on a long run down the left side in the 71st minute and Josiah Baker slipped through the middle to tally his fifth goal of the season in the 86th minute to cap Furman's season-high seven-goal performance.

Ben Hale earned the win in goal for the Paladins, while Jonathan Smith recorded one save in over 41 minutes of action. Allen stopped seven shots in a losing effort for the Keydets.

Furman finished with a 27-2 edge in shots and 19-2 advantage in shots on target.

Both semifinal matches on Friday will be streamed live on the SoCon Digital Network. Live statistics will be available through StatBroadcast at and

Jordan Caskey, Furman Sports Information