Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Settles For Draw Versus ETSU, 1-1

Dalton Souder
Dalton Souder

Greenville, S.C. -- The Furman men's soccer team erased a 1-0 deficit on Dalton Souder's second half goal, but the Paladins were forced to settle for a 1-1 draw versus Southern Conference-leading ETSU Saturday night on Seagraves Field at Stone Soccer Stadium.

The Bucs (7-2-6, 4-0-4 SoCon) jumped in front at the 2:20 mark when Luke Parker curled a low shot from the left side of the box to the lower right-hand corner past a sprawling goalkeeper to open the scoring. ETSU nearly doubled the lead on 18 minutes, but Furman's Ben Hale made a diving save to deny Bruno Andrade a goal and keep the score line at 1-1.

Jonny Sutherland of ETSU picked up two saves of his own just before the half by stopping a Connor Hubbard header in the 41st minute and denying Kevin Edelmann on a header three minutes later.

After Cole McLagan was turned away on a point-blank save by Sutherland in the 48th minute, Furman found the equalizer through Dalton Souder's first goal of the campaign on 51 minutes. Laurence Wyke played a corner kick into the box that was headed towards goal by Cole McLagan. The shot was deflected into the path of Souder near the far post and the defender finished off the rebound to knot the match at 1-1.

In the 54th minute, ETSU was awarded a penalty kick for a hand ball in the box. Fletcher Ekern fired a low shot only to have Hale smother the effort to keep the match tied.

The Bucs went down a man in the 73rd minute after Jeffrey George was shown his second yellow card of the match. The Paladins turned up the pressure with a man advantage, but Sutherland stopped a volley from Danny Kierath moments later to keep the teams level.

Hale once again came up with a match-saving stop for Furman in the 78th minute as the redshirt-freshman tipped Nick Spielman's header off of the cross bar and over for a corner kick.

In the overtime, Furman (9-4-3, 3-2-3 SoCon) created its best chance to steal the three points just 2:30 into the first period. Josiah Baker was played in behind the ETSU defense, but Sutherland deflected his shot clear.

Each team finished with 15 shots and Furman held an 8-7 edge in shots on goal. Sutherland made seven saves for the Bucs, while Hale stopped six for the Paladins.

Furman travels to Spartanburg, S.C., to face Wofford on Tuesday before celebrating Senior Day next Saturday at 7 p.m. when it hosts UNCG in the regular season finale at Stone Stadium.

Tickets for Saturday's match are $5 and can be purchased online at or at the Stone Stadium gate beginning one hour prior to kickoff.

The match will be streamed live on the SoCon Digital Network with live statistics provided through StatBroadcast. Fans can log onto for links to the live stream and live statistics for Saturday's match.

Jordan Caskey, Furman Sports Information