Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Furman, Appalachian State Battle To 1-1 Draw

Clint Ritter
Clint Ritter

Greenville, S.C. – Appalachian State and Furman each tallied a short-handed goal in the second half before settling for a 1-1 draw in Southern Conference men's soccer action on Saturday evening at Stone Stadium.

The tie put the Paladins at 9-2-3 overall and 1-1-1 in the SoCon while the Mountaineers moved to 4-6-2 overall and 0-2-1 in league play.

After a scoreless first half in which Furman and Appalachian State combined for just four shots, tempers flared in the opening minutes of the second half.  Martin Ontiveros was shoved off of the ball in the 52nd minute and Coleton Henning attempted a hard tackle near midfield in an attempt to win the ball back. The tackle led to pushing and shoving in front of the Mountaineer bench and Appalachian State's Alex Herbst and Furman's Henning were issued red cards.

Less than five minutes later, Appalachian State drew a foul deep on the right side and Harrison Delbridge headed in Luke Adams' free kick to put the Mountaineers in front 1-0 at 55:54.

Furman turned up the pressure and controlled possession following ASU's goal and found an equalizer in the 68th minute.  Junior Michael Gandier dribbles to the left side of the midfield and played a give-and-go with Clint Ritter before hammering a shot into the near-side, top shelf for his second goal of the season at 67:37.

The Paladins, who outshot Appalachian State 10-2 after intermission, continued to press for the go ahead goal, but it was the Mountaineers who nearly stole all three points before Gandier cleared a dangerous ball out of the box in the opening minutes of overtime.  Furman got its chance to score a game-winning in the final seconds of double overtime, but Tony Santibanez's shot from the top of the box missed high.

Doug Ryan recorded two saves on the night for Furman while Danny Free registered seven stops for the Mountaineers.  Furman finished with a 12-4 edge in shots and 8-3 advantage in shots on goal.  The match featured four yellow cards to go with the two second half red cards.

Furman continues its homestand on Tuesday when it hosts the Davidson Wildcats at Stone Stadium.  Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Tickets for Tuesday's match are $4 for adults and $2 for children.  Furman students receive free admission with a valid student ID.

Fans can follow live statistics and live streaming video for the match by logging onto and can access live updates via Twitter by following @FurmanPaladins and @FurmanSoccer.