Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Air Force Uses First Quarter Run to Down Furman, 11-7

Air Force Uses First Quarter Run to Down Furman, 11-7

Greenville, S.C. – Behind a 6-0 first quarter run, Air Force downed Furman 11-7 on Saturday afternoon inside Paladin Stadium. The win moves the Falcons to 6-2 on the year and 2-0 in SoCon play, while the loss drops the Paladins to 2-7, 0-2 in SoCon Play. 

"I thought we came out and played better in the second half, but we have to be prepared to play right in the beginning," said Furman Head Coach Richie Meade. "Air Force did a good job coming out in the second quarter, and I thought that's where the game was won and lost. Our guys played hard the whole game, which is commendable, so we have something to work with."

Furman was led by Jarrett Birch with two goals and an assist on the day, while Carson Sorrells and Keegan Pearl each added two goals. Corey Hall caused four turnovers and picked up five ground balls, while Alec Van de Bovenkamp made 11 saves.

Furman took a 1-0 lead on a fast-break goal by Keegan Pearl, before Air Force used a 6-0 scoring run to close out the first quarter. Carson Sorrells opened the second quarter with a goal for the Paladins, cutting the lead to 6-2, before Air Force ended the half with back-to-back scores to take an 8-2 lead into the halftime break.

The Falcons pushed the lead to 9-2 at the 7:20 mark of the third quarter, but both teams played solid defense in the third, allowing the Falcons to hold the 9-2 lead heading into the final 15 minutes. Furman cut the lead to 9-3 to open the fourth, before Air Force pushed the lead back to seven with 10:30 to go. The Paladins netted back-to-back goals by Holcomb and Birch to cut the lead to 10-5, but the Falcons responded to take an 11-5 lead with 7:30 remaining. Following a caused turnover by Corey Hall, Carson Sorrells netted his second goal of a day on a fast-break assist by Will O'Grady to cut the lead to 11-6 with just over 5:00 to go.

Furman cut the lead to four on Keegan Pearl's second goal of the day with 1:48 remaining, but couldn't get any closer, as the Falcons held on for the 11-7 victory.

The Paladins are back in action on Saturday, traveling to High Point, N.C. for a 12:00 p.m. matchup with the Panthers.