Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Furman Downs Air Force, Remains Unbeaten in SoCon Play

Furman Downs Air Force, Remains Unbeaten in SoCon Play

Greenville, S.C. – Behind four goals by Lou Yovino and solid second-half defensive play, Furman downed Air Force, 8-7, on Saturday afternoon inside Paladin Stadium. The win moves Furman to 5-6 on the year, setting a new school record for wins, and keeps the Paladins unbeaten in SoCon play (4-0). The loss drops the Falcons to 7-5 on the year and 3-1 in SoCon play. Air Force had never lost a SoCon game since joining the league last season, with today's Furman win halting a 12-game Falcon winning streak in conference play.

Yovino scored four of Furman's first five goals, while Graham Dabbs added two goals and an assist on the afternoon. Jon Vandenberg led the Paladins with three ground balls and three caused turnovers on the afternoon, while Alec Van de Bovenkamp picked up his fourth win inside the circle, allowing seven goals and making nine saves for a .563 save percentage.

Zach Scott found Lou Yovino to give the Paladins the early 1-0 lead, before the Falcons responded with a goal to tie the game at one with 9:39 left in the first. Air Force used back-to-back goals by Jack Flynn to take a 3-1 lead, before Yovino netted his second goal of the day to pull the Paladins to within one at 3-2. The Falcons then used a goal by Brandon Jones with just 35 seconds on the clock to take a 4-2 lead after one.

The Paladins opened the second period with Yovino's third goal of the day and a goal by Graham Dabbs to tie the game at four. Yovino continued to pace the Paladins on offense, netting his fourth goal of the day to give Furman the 5-4 advantage. Following a save by Alec Van de Bovenkamp, J.J. McDaid took the clear for Furman and scored his first goal of the season, extending Furman's scoring run to 4-0 and pushing the lead to 6-4 heading into halftime.

Air Force kept the Paladins off the board in the third, using back-to-back goals by Grant Gould to erase the deficit and tie the game at six heading into the game's final 15 minutes.

William Holcomb got an unassisted goal to give the Paladins the lead at 7-6 to open the fourth, before Chase Hancock found Graham Dabbs to push Furman's lead to 8-6 with 12:21 remaining. The Falcons then got a goal from Cameron Carter to cut Furman's lead to one at 8-7 with 6:35 to go, but the Paladins used key stops by the defense down the stretch, including causing a turnover with under a minute to go, to seal the win and remain unbeaten in SoCon play.

Grant Gould and Jack Flynn led Air Force with two goals each, while Mitch Rose made five saves on the afternoon. Brandon Jones picked up 10 ground balls for the Falcons.

Furman is back in action Saturday, April 15, traveling to High Point, N.C., for a 12:00 p.m. SoCon matchup.